Tuesday, January 27, 2009

String Blocks


Here are photos of how to make string-pieced blocks following these String Quilting Primer instructions.

Here's an 8-1/2" X 8-1/2" unfinished square before trimming. This the largest block that can be made using telephone book pages as foundation paper. What a great way to repurpose an old phone book!
I'm intentionally placing a 2" (unfinished) strip of solid or tone-on-tone black in the middle of each block to unify the wide array of colors and prints I'm using.

After sewing strips to telephone book pages, trim the block to measure 8-1/2" square before removing the paper from behind the fabric. Phone book paper tears off quite easily without damaging stitches.
I couldn't wait...here four blocks are laid together for a preview. I think I'm going to like it! But the best part is putting to good use otherwise unusable strips of fabric...immensely satisfying to my frugal German nature!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda,
    Great to read your block. I also love string quilts!
    Happy stitchings from Switzerland
    Edith

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin