Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Flaunt - Hopping

If you say that I'm flighty when it comes to quilt-y things, I would probably agree with you! For some odd reason - which I long ago quit trying to figure out - I'm at my best when I have several projects going simultaneously. I simply enjoy that I can, and do, hop from project to project, sometimes several of them in one day!

This week has been such an effort, without much to show for it.

Continuing to work on "Snowflake Medallion," I've been gathering small fabric circles around 1 mm sequins and appliqueing them to eight flower blocks. I can't take credit for this ingenious idea for making tiny applique circles. It comes from my friend Di at Snippets 'n Scraps.

A couple months ago, when I saw the Candied Hexagons quilt Janet had made, and posted to her blog Quiltsalott, I knew I'd found my next hand-pieced, "traveling quilt" project. This one will travel with me pretty much wherever I go.

The pattern was first made in the late 1800s in Sydney, Australia by Frederica Josephson, later adapted and made by Kim McLean, and then made by Kerry Dear whose 2006 version appeared in issue #18 of Australian Quilter's Companion (out of print) using Marti Michell hexagon templates.

I selected a rich-looking Jason Yenter print as my focus fabric. It's a piece in his "Floragraphix IV" collection from In the Beginning.
I've been using my templates to cut the various shapes for my scrappy version of the traveling Candied Hexagons quilt.
I also cut plastic templates the finished size of each shape. I'm using them to draw the seam line on the back of each fabric piece.

I've free-motion quilted (saw this as "FMQ" on another blog) most of Baby Bub's Aussie Animal quilt. Quilted leaves are around the koalas.
Scrubby brush is quilted around the roo.
And a tortoise and croc are surrounded by quilted water.

So you can see I've been busy, but getting no where fast. Sorta like Hogan in this picture. He isn't getting anywhere "running" across the bottom of the sofa! But he looks pretty content, and that's exactly how I'm feeling.
Americans have a long weekend ahead, celebrating Labor Day on Monday. Guess that means we're to take a break from our labors. I hope you do! Take time to enjoy and do what you like to do!

5 comments:

  1. Linda, love the colours your using for Snowflake Medallion, its on my 'gunna' list... gunna do it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you have been flying at your house...I am impressed. I guess I had better get busy! Loved all that you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous as always! I think we may be kindred spirits, I too like to jump from project to project....with me I was sure it was a ADHD and something to be discouraged, thanks Linda, now I know it is just being extra creatrive isn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous as always! I think we may be kindred spirits, I too like to jump from project to project....with me I was sure it was a ADHD and something to be discouraged, thanks Linda, now I know it is just being extra creatrive isn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of little applique circles. Looks like it is going to be a pretty quilt.
    I love that quilt that Janet has made too.
    I like the little peeks from your animal quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin