Monday, February 8, 2010

A Winter Walk in the Woods

Our winter weather seems to be the topic of conversation these days, and not all of it nice!

Since December 1, we've had 53.9 inches (137 cm) of snow in Central Iowa. Yes, that's much more than usual. Only cross-country skiers and snowmobilers like it, and I personally know only one of them!

I've had enough of winter and have vehemently said so.

But this morning's walk with Hogan (the dog) at Raccoon River Park gave me another perspective. We were the only person/dog on the trail. It was beautiful and peaceful.

Compare the same view of the Raccoon River from last fall.
Looks pretty gloomy today, doesn't it?

Along this stretch of the Raccoon River I was treated to this unexpected sight.
An American Bald Eagle! Wow.

We don't often see them, if ever. And how fortunate to have the camera with me?!

Would anyone like to join me on my walk? This is especially for those of you who have never had the pleasure (?) of a walk in the snow. Listen to the "scrunch."

You might like walking with me, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be interested in a swim anyway.

Or sitting for a spell to take in the view.
.
Or having a picnic.

But Hogan didn't mind any of it. Check out his frosty whiskered chin... from eating snow. Well, someone is enjoying this weather!

6 comments:

  1. My gosh, certainly a different view from Autumn to Winter, but I think both are beautiful. Amazing shot of the eagle. It won't be long and we'll all be complaining about how hot it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be a bit cold for comfort, but your pictures certainly show the beauty of the winter landscape. It's goung to be over 30 degrees here today, so my little vicarious 'walk in the snow' was welcome LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the walk. I have had one Christmas in Chicago many years ago and that was enough snow for me. I remember walking to my waitressing job trying to negotiate the ice covered side walks. But I also remember those first flakes of snowing falling around me and how beautiful they were. At the moment we are very hot and humid down under.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, snow. cool. Right now I just want to roll around it with hardly anything on.
    It's beautiful, Linda. Thanks for the walk. I enjoyed a brief moment of respite from all this heat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved taking a bit of a walk with you! I have never heard that sound. Never!

    It looks so very cold. Big high fives for taking a walk in that weather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 53 inches. that is a lot of snow. I think both pictures of your path are pretty in their own way.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin