Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Stitchery, Australian Style

I'm under the influence... of Australians! I've begun to take notice of how many projects - quilts and embroideries - I'm working on are based on what Australians are designing and making.

When the lovely Miss Di of Darling Point (Sydney) showed me the pretty, hand-embroidered quilt she'd made to remember a trip to Italy, interest in stitchery began to take hold of me.
Di herself designed each of the embroideries in this quilt! She's done a remarkable job of capturing the architectural features of the places she and her husband visited.

Thanks to Di, and two other stitchery designing friends - Jenny and Cheryl - I always have a stitchery or two in progress, though I haven't yet progressed to designing my own. That creative spark isn't sparking for me at this time.

For a couple weeks I've been working on "The Paris Collection" pattern by Natalie Lymer of Cinderberry Stitches. I bought my pattern in Sydney and, wouldn't you know, this summer found it for sale at a local quilt show.
Natalie certainly has a distinctive style.
I used Cosmo threads for the embroidery, and sewed the bag and coordinating needle case with Australian fabrics purchased from the Remnant Warehouse in Sydney. I have special memories of that day, fabric shopping with my dear friends, Di J. and Di B.

Fabrics are from the "Emperor's Garden" collection by "A Day in the Country" owner Sue Ross.
I know I'm going to enjoy using this as a stitchery tote. A girl can't have too many of those. (Lindi, I still love using the one you made for me.  Thank you! It's also very special.)

5 comments:

  1. Of course you can't have too many! :) Love the one you've made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt the stitchery creative spark will hit you! You are a creative type. Love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute embroidery patterns. The bag is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love embroidery so much! And Natalie at Cinderberry Stitches does such beautiful patterns. Her colors amaze me. Thanks for naming that fabric - it's perfect for that stitchery. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed my first visit to your blog so much, I became a follower so I won't miss anything!! Noticed that I'm #99! Way to go!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin