Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Stitchin' Mission Quilt

The last of five Stitchin' Mission lessons was Thursday evening. Besides teaching about quilt labels, I turned in the quilt I made that will go to House of Mercy here in Des Moines.

This quilt is sewn with fabrics donated to Stitchin' Mission by members of  Faith Lutheran Church in Clive, where our lessons were held. The design is one I call "Stairs to Heaven," and it uses only "loaves" - 3-1/2" X 6-1/2" rectangles.
"Stairs to Heaven," 48" X 60"
Whenever I have a leftover fabric I want to use up, I cut 3-1/2" X 6-1/2" loaves. They have many design possibilities for sewing into mission quilts.

See more photos of Stitchin' Mission quilts here, on the SM blog. Sixty-plus quilts were made during this series of five free beginner quiltmaking lessons! Wow! You can see the quilts in person next weekend, November 19-20 when they'll be displayed in the sanctuary at Faith Lutheran Church on University Avenue next to K-Mart, in Clive.

By the way, that is snow you're seeing in the background of my photos. We woke Wednesday morning to three inches of the stuff. Winter is officially here. Linda

6 comments:

  1. I guess WOW!! That's amazing. You are doing such a great thing. Keep up the good work. What a good idea to cut scraps into loaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely quilt. I prefer this scrappy version over a two colour one and your fabrics give this one a happy look. Thanks for linking up the Stitching Mission site. I enjoyed looking at the great work on display by the participants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is such a rewarding thing for you. They all look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on such a great session, Linda! I like your quilt and all the scrappy parts! Snow! NO!

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin