Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

Last week, Marlene of StitchinbytheLake had the most interesting post about her favorite things. Reading it, you quickly grasp how grateful she is for simple blessings in her life. Shouldn't we all be? Certainly! Here are a few favorite things for which I am grateful.

Sleeping in. Not everyone gets to do that - there's that thing called "a job." I'm grateful to not have to go to a job, though I usually rise between 6:15 and 6:45. How do I know what time it is the moment I open my eyes? The clock time is on the ceiling! It's a projection clock. I'm so used to it that I really miss it when I'm away from home. The numbers are foot-high, so I can even see the time without my glasses. See how late I slept in? Goodness! Lounging in bed until 6:10 a.m!

Bible reading, and practicing memorizing Bible verses is a favorite thing. I'm not as diligent as I could be, but I try. I have index cards, cut in half, hole-punched and put on a ring so I have palm-size verses to flip through. I'm in a womens' Bible study: "James: Mercy Triumphs," by Beth Moore, so James is the focus of my memory work.

Once I'm up and about, I make a small pot of decaf coffee for myself. Yes, decaf. Last August the doc diagnosed hypothyroidism and told me "no more caffeine." I had the devil to pay to go cold turkey from six cups of coffee a day.

Using my favorite mug, I make the coffee even better with french vanilla soy creamer. I love it! It adds a touch of creamy sweetness that, I swear - and this is just me saying so - curbs my appetite. I think I'm less hungry when I've had soy in the morning.

Have I told you that my husband is an awesome cook? He really is one of my favorite things! A man who watches all the cooking shows, does all the grocery shopping, shops at Penzey's for the best seasonings, and then cooks up the most tantalizing foods.

A pizza recipe he picked up from the chef at Wine Country Inn in St. Helena, California, where we stayed for a week last September, is his latest cuisine triumph. This "white pizza," as we call it, begins with his from-scratch, healthy, herb and wheat crust. Pizza ingredients are: pesto, green onion, red bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and two cheeses: brie, and monterey jack. Before it goes in the oven, it looks like this.


After baking on a metal pizza pan - the one with holes in it so the crust can crisp up - this is what it looks like in its yummy deliciousness.

I always eat too much of it!

No big surprise, whatever happens to be my current quilting project is my favorite. I've been sewing these foundation paper-pieced Circle of Geese blocks for a colorful wall hanging.

Another favorite thing is winning giveaways. Stephanie from LoftCreations emailed me to let me know I won her new bag pattern, "All About Anna." I am certain I'll make it. Thanks, Stephanie!

After such a week, what more could a girl want? Well, I'll tell you. It's one of my favorite things. A quilt retreat! This weekend Hope Quilters are are heading north to Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp for three whole days of indulgent sewing time. A quilt retreat with 13 Christian friends. Is there anything as fun? Maybe it's time for a good 'ole Iowa blizzard.

By the way, we're planning a Hope Quilters event - a Quilt-a-Thon. If you live in the Des Moines area, please join us! I bet it will be your "favorite thing!" Linda

11 comments:

  1. My mother in law had one of those clocks and I remember how she loved it. Thanks for the reminder! I have/had hypothyroidism and have had surgery twice for that but they didn't tell me to give up caffeine thank goodness. I wonder what their reason is? I don't drink coffee but I do drink other things, like tea. Do you drink Silk milk? I tried one soy milk that I didn't like so I'm wondering about this brand. Blessings, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, loved to read about your favorite things and I wish you a Lit of Fun for your quiltretreat.
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my gosh, that pizza looks so yummy! Have lots of fun at your quilt retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your circle of geese blocks are awesome and that pizza looks very yummy. I want to make homemade pizza dough--one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pizza looks delicious! I think all of your favorite things are great except the "No Coffee" one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That pizza looks delicious, I think I can almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had asked what Bible study I'm doing - same as yours! We had our first meeting last night and it was great! My third Beth Moore study, and they just keep getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know from experience that your Dan is a marvelous cook and that pizza looks marvelous. I also enjoy the vanilla soy in my coffee. Have a marvelous time on your retreat. I'll be watching for your projects here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having a husband who cooks sure is a blessing :-)). Have a fantastic time on your quilting retreat this weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post....fun to get to know your favs! Your blocks are so fun...love em!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did read Marlene's post about her favorite things.
    6 in the morning is not sleeping in to me. lol More like 7:30 or 8 for me.
    Oh, your blocks are looking really cool.
    Yummy looking pizza!!!!
    Congrats on your win.
    Have fun at the retreat.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin