Sunday, July 14, 2013

My First FAL

Leanne who blogs at SheCanQuilt is hosting a 2013 Finish-A-Long (FAL).

I've never participated where I've been invited to commit to finishing particular quilts, but when a few randomly-chosen prizes are up for grabs, and I've got way more than a few projects for which I'm grateful for motivation to finish, I thought, "Why not?" I'm getting a late start for 2013, since they're on the third quarter already. Q3 starts July 15 and ends October 7.

So. I'm supposed to blog about the projects I plan to finish - I picked four - and then link to SheCanQuilt. Here we go:

1. Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll was a Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville.com) mystery pattern from 2010-2011. (It's no longer available for free.) Several months ago I began FMQing this 86" X 101" monstrosity but need to add more quilting around blocks, and to borders.

2. My Bloggers' BOM was begun in 2011. The 60" X 60" quilt center is put together, and as of the end of June, quilters in my Mid-Century Modern Bee have mailed me all the rectangles I need to add for a border. At 78" X 78" it will take lots of FMQing to finish.

3. Bloom, a pattern by a favorite designer, Emma Jansen (she designed Snowflake Medallion) is a must-finish by the end of August. It's in-progress, with lots of FMQing going on at the moment. In this picture you can see exactly where undulating feathers will go next - between the blooms and diamonds. The quilt's 78" X 78", so I think I'll need a couple more weeks for the quilting, and then there's washing, blocking and binding.

4. What you haven't seen has been on my design wall for a week. Wishful thinking that I'd squeeze in time to start piecing this baby girl quilt! It's 4" hexagons - cut using the Hex 'n More ruler from Jaybird Quilts. That solid pink in the upper left-hand corner is what I'd planned for background triangles, but I'm thinking to switch to white. Or do you have another suggestion?

So, except for machine piecing hexies, it looks like this entire third quarter is pretty much all about FMQing. Now "let's finish quilts!" Linda

18 comments:

  1. They are all beautiful projects!! I like the hexie quilt. I've never worked with 4" hexies before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great list! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

    For the baby quilt - I like both the pink and the white but the white stands out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Bloom is going to be awesome. I admire you for custom quilting RRCB, I think I'm just doing an all-over (whenever I get around to it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will be busy FMQ! Could the hexies look pretty on a lemon/lime solid? All your projects are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you're going to be busy! Love that hexie quilt. I think a white background would look so sharp against the bright colors you've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see that you are making progress on the Bloom quilt quilting.
    I have faith that you will finish all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lot's of work ahead for you on your lovely projects. But I'm "gobsmacked" by your FMQ progress on your bloom quilt. It looks fantastic. How on earth do you do it? It looks so precise and perfect. I wish I lived closer, so I could come and see for myself ;)! Do you draw the designs on first? I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love all four of these colorful projects....you go girl!! I agree that the white is better than the pink on the baby quilt, btw. How cute it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! We will be encouraging each other along ; )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing all your beautiful quilting.
    I like the white background or even grey (the new black) for your hexies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, it's all quilting for you for a while isn't it? I'm in awe, as quilting isn't my strongest point. I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that you are FMQing Roll, Roll yourself!
    Bloom is looking stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an admiral goal Linda - but you seem to be a goal-oriented person so I predict you'll do it. :) As always I love your FMQing. I know it takes practice and I just can't seem to get the time for that. My quilting is "child-like" or primitive - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I think I like the white background best. The pink is pretty but the white would be striking. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a big list, but I'm cheering for you, Linda! Maybe I should add my name to the finish along....!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the FMQ on Bloom. It will be a show stopper! Love the hexie quilt! The white background sets off the hexies best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow - some amazing quilts - cant wait to see them quilted - so glad your joining in the FAL :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow - some amazing quilts - cant wait to see them quilted - so glad your joining in the FAL :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow - some amazing quilts - cant wait to see them quilted - so glad your joining in the FAL :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow - some amazing quilts - cant wait to see them quilted - so glad your joining in the FAL :)

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin