Saturday, October 26, 2013

Coral Sea Hexagons

Another great-niece was born this past week, our second girl this year. I'm grateful for every opportunity to make a girl quilt because, in case you didn't know, we're expecting our fourth grandson this coming January! I'm plenty practiced at making boy quilts.


Knowing our great niece's room would be done in an ocean theme, in coral and aqua, I bought a few pieces of Michael Miller's By the Sea with the rest from my stash cupboard. A flamingo print keeps showing up in a bunch of my quilty projects! 

Baby Reese's quilt has been finished for several weeks, just waiting for a label. Until then, it was the quilt I used for several demonstrations: how to sew binding to a quilt, for a First Time Quiltmaking class; suggested free motion quilting designs, for a Free Motion Quilting workshop; and how to sew hexagons, a program for members of our Central Florida MQG. Now it's a gift! I guess I got a lot of mileage from it.


If you find yourself wanting to make an all-hexagons quilt, be sure to look up Kati's great "How to Piece Hexagons tutorials" (parts 1 and 2) on her blog: FromtheBlueChair. It's the method I used, and it saved me lots of time that I would have spent marking each piece with quarter-inch-from-the-edge dots.

The quilt back is a pretty piece of ombre. I split the piece down the middle and added a coral-colored print.

Instead of quilting with an all over design, I divided the quilt into tri-sections and quilted something a little different in each. Since I couldn't bear to quilt over the flamingos, I quilted around them.




Linda

19 comments:

  1. What a darling quilt. Love your quilting! Thanks for the link to sewing the hexies...that's a keeper! Congrats on the new addition to your family. Have a Quilty Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda this quilt is just beautiful...I love the fabrics. You have a great eye for color. Blessings, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so cute Linda. Once again your quilting amazes me. I like the circular swirls

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those colors together! I'm glad the tutorial worked for you! It's always nice to hear others have had success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is lovely - the quilting makes the hexies look like colourful snails shells...

    Masterful use of the ombre on the back - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt, they will love it! KThe colors are a little girlish but also very ocean like, success!
    I will check out the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous Linda!!! I love seeing this quilt again and am glad you were able to use it quite a bit before gifting it. Such a lovely little girl quilt. The flamingos are my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely Linda. And to think it was a teaching tool, multiple times as well! Your quilting is perfect! And I think of you when I see flamingos.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a treasure you have created. love it. the backing is so pretty too. great quilting designs too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It turned out so pretty!! And I didn't know about the new grandie. Congrats. I'll have to check out the tutorial. So fun to talk yesterday, wish it was in person :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is so pretty. I love how you quilted it and I would have not wanted to quilt over those cute flamingos either! Thanks for the link to the tutorial. I'll check it out later. Haven't used my ruler yet but you are inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous, as usual Linda. Love all the work you do. Your great niece will treasure it for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the quilt Linda it is just adorable and the backing piece is so pretty with the marvelous quilting, the flamingo's so cute.
    It is almost November, the month will go fast (wink, wink).
    When does your friend arrive? I am so envious my best friend lives in Colorado and we haven't had a visit in about 10 years. Next year it is our nursing 50 anniversary and she has promised to come for it.
    Have fun with your friend!
    Hugs Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous quilt - it will be much loved, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure she'll love the quilt! The flamingo fabric and colors are so cute. Congrats on another grandson!

    I had to think a little about the tutorial but now I get it. Just wish I had the time to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful quilt with the perfect theme. Love your quilting....as always, perfection. And congrats on having so many lovely grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Linda, this is just darling! I love that it will "grow" with little Reece...never will it seem too childish for her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We received Linda's creation in the mail yesterday. it is beautiful and truly a work of art. it was fun going through the quilt to discover all of the details. this will be a great addition to Reese's room and will be something she will cherish.

    Thank you!

    -Father of the Grand-Niece and Nephew of Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE your hexi quilt. Would love to make one.

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin