Saturday, December 21, 2013

Winter is Here; Christmas is Coming

This was the front page of Saturday's newspaper. The article goes on to elaborate about residents who "don't miss days of shoveling snow." Ahh. It's so good to live here. In case you can't read the small print in the top left corner, today's high is 83 F (28 C).

Last evening, at a church holiday gathering, we sang Christmas carols. Loved that! When it came to the song, Let it Snow, the refrain ended a little differently...

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...  up north!"

By all accounts, our weather people are telling us that's exactly what's happening "up north!"

I'm not accustomed to making holiday preparations in warm weather, though. Earlier in the week I spent several warm hours baking, and on Friday we started and finished Christmas shopping! How easy it is to walk in and out of stores in gorgeous weather.

Admittedly, it's been difficult to get into the spirit when much of this month has been full of medical concerns. My arterial problems, all above the knees, is now officially diagnosed as "severe peripheral vascular disease," and is definitely a genetic condition. Just this week I was told, "You're a bit of a fluke." Samples of my blood are now going through special lab testing checking for the presence of the APO-A1 gene. Apparently that will determine the kind of drug treatment I'll receive to lessen the problem of plaque build-up.

Anyway, I didn't get any decorating done this year except to have Dan put out this yard sign. It does say it all.

I am grateful for the gift of Jesus. And for many other blessings... out-of-the-blue, best friend Carla sent me this cute burlap mini pennant, along with a lovely card that nearly brought me to tears. Carla, you're such a thoughtful friend! I love looking at the pennant above the door of my sewing room.

Outdoors, we're enjoying a colorful burst of growth as the two Hawaiian Ty plants on either side of the front door have put on this show.


And in the sewing room, if my legs aren't aching too much (from having the stent put in my thigh, or the soreness of calf muscles unaccustomed to blood flow), I've been quilting at my Pfaff. Here's slow progress on my Riley Blake challenge.

I'm being smart about marking this time (as compared to when I quilted Bloom), using a wash-out marking pen instead of a Frixion pen. I'm definitely Frixion pen-shy, after that experience!

Each increasingly large round of hand appliquéd circles is getting a different quilting design. It will be after Christmas until I'll get to quilting the negative space. 

But post-Christmas, I'd better get crackin'! This yet-to-be-named quilt has to be finished by January 6 because that's the date of having my right leg catheterization (75 percent blocked) that will put me out of commission for about a week. Since our Central Florida MQG Riley Blake reveal is January 13, I don't have a moment of quilting time to waste.

January 6 also happens to be the date I become a Nana for the fifth time, to our fourth baby boy.

While we're still in the month of December, here's a wish from me to you... that you have a blessed Christmas spent with those you love,

and that the love of Jesus, Father-God, and the Holy Spirit be alive and strong in your heart.

Linda

19 comments:

  1. Oh Linda! That dotty quilt looks amazing! Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Challenge quilt is looking fabulous - another winner, I expect! Have a blessed Christmas with all your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those circles and what you've quilted in them!
    Merry Xmas to you and all the family too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And a Blessed and Merry Christmas to you! I love your Riley Blake challenge and look forward to seeing it finished. Best wishes on your upcoming procedure - guess we're all getting to be of a certain age ... despite our best intentions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh that quilting looks so good. Can't wait to see the big reveal. And I also wish you a blessed Merry Christmas .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Linda! I hope next year is less dramatic health-wise! Summer and Christmas just go together - but being so exposed to European and North American traditions, somehow snow at Christmas doesn't seem odd, either! I look forward to experiencing the winter magic for myself one year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas, Linda. I was hoping that you would find a place in your sewing studio for the banner...it looks great! The quilting is looking awesome...as i knew it would! Blessings to you, my friend. Enjoy your vacation with our family!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very Blessed Merry Christmas to you
    and your family. Glad the weather is nice and warm- just like we're used to, should be about 29 C for us Christmas Day- thinking of a BBQ lunch and prawns.
    Can't wait to see your Riley Blake quilt, the up close shots are pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a blessed Christmas and improved health in the coming weeks! I'm with you- Florida winters are something to be grateful for. Curious about your challenge quilt- it's terrific, by the way- so does each circle you are quilting have it's own starts and stops? Maybe sometime you'd consider doing a tutorial on how you handle them? I'm sometimes befuddled by starts/stops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to hear that your leg isn't giving you too much trouble. Your FMQ looks fantastic. Have a blessed Christmas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Riley Blake quilt is coming along nicely. I really like what you are doing in each circle. You will make your deadline I have no doubt. Here's to wishing you a healthy and happy new year and that your medical problems will all be corrected soon. Have a blessed Christmas with your family and friends and think of us here in the Midwest freezing! Tomorrow night is supposed to be in the single digits. Do you have an air mattress & tent I can rent to put on your back lawn? lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always choose dots as a fave, your quilt is sure happy! Congrats on the new little one coming, and take care of yourself. Merry Christmas!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas Linda! Health and happiness in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sorry that you have this problem in your legs but it could have been worse if you hadn't pushed your Dr. to look inti it further Anymore we have to be pretty smart about our own bodies. Are you staying in Florida fot Christmas. Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year to you and hubby . Hugs Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  16. I confess that your temperatures sound wonderful Linda but even though it's cold here it just seems right to me - last Christmas we had about 12" of snow! I love the burlap quilt valance...such a cute idea. I'm continuing to pray for your medical issues asking God for strength and healing. May He bless you with great joy during this season. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Merry Christmas Linda! We had a lovely warm day in South Australia, spent with my family. Those temps of 28C sound like paradise. Guess what my husband and kids gave me. A brand new Pfaff! I can't believe how lucky I am. Very thankful for my blessings today and everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope that you have had a marvelous Christmas and that the new Year brings you renewed good health. I was sorry to read of your health challenges but am sending you lots of positive healing thoughts for a quick recovery from your leg difficulties.
    Warmest regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

I reply to comments! If you are a no-reply commenter, or your profile appears as anonymous, I will reply to you directly on this blog post. Please check back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin